Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Maybelline the Colossal Cat Eyes: Review + Comparison to the Original

Last I reviewed the Colossal by Maybelline and it was unfortunately not my holy grail. I've seen it work beautifully on other girls, so I was disappointed that it did not love me back.

This time I'm here to review the Colossal Cat Eyes.


I really love lashes that wing out at the outer edge, but I'm always skeptical of mascaras that say they give one shape or another. I tend to think that's mostly decided by your natural lash shape and how you apply your mascara. Nevertheless, I was curious to see the difference between the Colossal Original and Cat Eyes.

Brush:


The brush is curved and the bristles are shorter and more spaced out than the original Colossal brush. I didn't find this brush to pick up as much product as the original brush.


Formula:
The formula is even more wet than the original.

Application:
Because the brush is so sparse and not a lot of product gets picked up you have to really apply a lot of coats before you see results. Just for clarification, by 'coats' I really mean strokes, because I didn't find this to be the type of mascara you can apply, dry, re-apply. When you let the formula dry first, the second application is always clumpy on my lashes. I really had to load up the mascara within one pre-dry coat.


Comparison & Conclusion:
I think the curved and sleeker shape is conducive to better mascara application near the edges of the eyes, which would allow the user to apply winged out coat of mascara.

For me there are to lashes at the very outer corner of my left eye I always notice when applying mascara because they stick forward less and stick more parallel to the surface of my eyes. The larger the brush the harder it is for me to get to those lashes, so the Cat Eyes brush was more capable of getting to those lashes.

However, I found this mascara to be noticeably less volumizing, so it essentially canceled out whatever benefit the extra access provided.

Again, similar to the Colossal original, this is another high-maintenance mascara; the mascara did not hold curls, did not add volume easily, and stick together past a certain number of applications.

I like this mascara less than the Colossal original, so this is definitely not a holy grail product for me.

What do you guys think? Do you love this mascara? Maybe this would work better on me if I had more lashes, longer lashes?

-Katherine

Next up, the Falsies!


No comments:

Post a Comment